At first blush, this posting might not seem all that theatre-centered. But it’s Prom Season here at NSHS and folks are creating events for the big ask, which means students are using those theatre skills.
- All actors need objectives. Wanna take cute XYZ girl/boy to Prom. Check.
- Think tactics. Remember our ask, plead, bribe, threaten scene? Of course we don’t want to beg someone and threatening is so not cool, yet the point is to be varied in your approach.
- If you are going to ask in person [and NOT through social media], rehearse it through multiple times. Use a friend to give you some feedback and really listen to what they have to say.
- Props help every actor in every scene. Think gimmick here: string of post its on her locker, a huge sign in the hallway, a pizza box opening to the ask, a box of donuts with the same ask.
- Balloons with the word “Prom?” go over big: make sure your handwriting is legible…
- Many students use the theatre as their venue to ask. Every year I have put up powerpoint slides to which the girl always says, “yes,” and the class always says, “Awwwwww.”
- Use your props wisely–make sure the “yes” is a given before you publicly humiliate yourself and he says no in front of your entire P.E. class.
Need some more advice? Check out these films we made in class this year. Some help with the asking and some offer general prom tips.
So Tell Us
What’s a super clever way to ask someone to prom? Prom’s coming up April 26th…it’s not too late to ask!