Halloween is made for theatre folks–costumes and makeup and just enough sugar to make it through to your next
task class. We learned about dressers for the theatre. To see a dresser in action, we watched this film clip a quick change from the broadway hit musical, Mary Poppins:
The New York Times did a fab article on how important dressers are to their theatre stars–well worth the read.
Our task was to create a complete costume change:
- Each team selects a costume quick change pile from the stage comprised of completely random items pulled from our shop
- Select roles of actor & dressers
- Each item must be put on properly as if the actor would make a real entrance with this costume
- The team must rehearse the process with everyone involved
- Time it with your phone to get it done in 25 sec or less
- Each group will slate & perform quick change
All groups were successful in planning and rehearsing. Many groups performed their quick change in 25 seconds or less. We are still processing the rest of our films, but 6th period’s work is below. It’s the first time with my fancy-pants camera and trying to remember how to use iMovie has been a challenge…so don’t judge the medium…love the process and work of our NSHS Theatre students! When the rest are uploaded to our YouTube channel, we will update this post.
Click on that comment icon at the top and answer this question:
As a participant in this activity, how was the performance different from the rehearsal and what did you learn about collaborating with your team?